The big needs going in: starting pitching & a thirdbaseman.
- Ted Lilly, starter. He was my top-rated starter.
- Hank Blalock, 3B. My second choice after Ryan Braun.
- Troy Percival, short. My top-rated reliever. Absolutely kills righty bats.
- Ramon Castro, C. Top-rated catcher by far. +3 throw is a drawback.
- Ryan Ludwick, LF/RF. Will platoon with Werth in right.
- Shawn Hill, starter. My fourth-rated starter, equivalent to Harang.
- Mike Timlin, short. The best guy left against lefty bats. Neither he nor Percival will be around for long, of course.
- Xavier Nady, RF/CF/LF. Utility outfielder with good, balanced hitting.
- Chris Gomez, 3B/1B/SS/2B. Utility infielder.
- Matt Guerrier, short. About the only short left in my top 20.
- Jose Molina, C. Can pinch-hit against lefties, but as third catcher will go down to the taxi team.
- Orlando Hernandez, starter. Despite the age & the 3 injury, he was still rated much higher than my fourth starter at the time, Kendrick, who goes down to the taxi team.
- Ryan Dempster, closer. Not many outstanding closers in the draft.
- Alan Embree, short. Not highly rated, but I didn’t have a single lefty in the pen.
- Eric Byrnes, LF/RF/CF. Got him for his speed.
I almost thought that Braun might last to the second round, and the bullpen is a bit of a mess, but all in all I’m happy with how Tit made out.